Swap your fish cakes for lentils this Veganuary. This quick and yummy recipe is another example of how you can easily replace meat in your diet - for something equally delicious!
2 cups green lentils
1 onion, chopped up small
2 cloves garlic
1 celery stick
1 carrot, grated
70g breadcrumbs - either bought or made from left over bread, and frozen
Salt and pepper
Vegetable stock cube
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin
1 lemon, zest and juice
1. Rinse the lentils and put them on to boil covered with water. Add the stock cube, mixed herbs,salt and pepper.
2. Simmer for around 30 - 40 mins until the lentils are soft. Drain well using a sieve, trying to get rid of much fluid as possible.
3. In the meantime, cut the onion up finely, and cut the celery into small pieces. Grate the carrot, and peel and cut the garlic.
4. Fry gently until soft. Add the seasonings; fennel seeds and cumin. When cooked, take off the heat and allow to cool.
5. Mix together the lentils, the veggies, breadcrumbs, lemon zest and juice. Check seasonings and adjust to taste
6. Make into little patties and fry gently, until cooked through and brown on either side.